Friday, January 18, 2013

Wait, what?

So, I recently learned about this 100 Year Starship project. This is just about the coolest goddamn thing I have ever seen in my life. I had to check around to make sure the internet wasn't just pulling a fast one on me. It's not. This is real.
I'll admit, I am a pretty big sci-fi nerd. I love BSG, Stargate, Firely, Star Trek, you name it, all the starship-involving series. However, my utter fascination with this project goes beyond the whole sci-fi morphing into sci-fact thing. I do physics and I majored in astrophysics as an undergrad. So, I have a pretty decent understanding of just how difficult it really is to traverse the interstellar medium. Pretty difficult. It's basically like a dustmite trying to crawl to Miami from Seattle (the is not an exact analogy, just off the top of my head, but you get the gist).
You've probably heard that the closest star is a little over four light years away. That means that if you somehow managed to find a way to travel AT the speed of light, you'd get there in a little over four years. But our current technology only enables us to travel at an insignificant fraction of the the speed of light. It would take thousands of years to get to that closest star. But alas, the 100yss people are trying to figure out faster ways for us to travel! There are a few possibilities, even FTL, according to this: warp drive?
Yeah, that's right, NASA is trying to find a way to travel Star Trek style.
Beyond the propulsion technology, this whole endeavor will require enormous efforts from all sorts of people all around the world. This project has the potential to bring humanity to the next level of civilization. Maybe even bring us together?

No comments:

Post a Comment